Calling All Reading Heroes - Winter Mini Challenge Starts 1st December!
We’re delighted to share information about this year’s Winter Mini Reading Challenge. As with previous Winter Challenges this will take place online and children can take part as outlined below.
This winter we are very excited to team up with The Reading Agency award-winning publisher Knights Of to run an Everyone Is A Hero Challenge to celebrate heroes in all their forms!
- Start your Challenge by visiting www.wintermini.org.uk If you took part in the Summer Reading Challenge you can use your existing account. If you need to create an account there’s a new streamlined sign-up where parents can add multiple children easily! We hope it will make a real difference to new users.
- Take part by reading any books (including eBooks, audiobooks and e-comics) of your choice (we’re suggesting 3 or more), then rate and review them.
- Books added to the website during the six-week Mini Challenge period will count towards unlocking special rewards including a certificate and a virtual badge.
- The website will also feature activities, recommendations for great winter reads, and competitions.
- If you’re stuck for ideas for reading check out the Book Sorter, which has over 1.3 million peer-to-peer recommendations. Or why not try something from this fabulous reading list - from friendship, to inventing to fun, this selection is full of heroes that inspire, challenge and push the definition of what it means to be a hero.
- Keep track of your reading with this downloadable reading record
- Download your certificate when you’ve completed your Challenge
As part of the Winter Mini Challenge, The Reading Agency are inviting people across the country to nominate their Reading Heroes on social media. You can post a picture, share a story about them, or even record a video about them! Just make sure to get their permission first!
When you post, please remember to tag @readingagency in the post and use the hashtags #WMC2020 and #ReadingHero so they can find the posts. At the end of the Challenge, they will compile a list of all the entries and enter them into a prize draw – and the winning hero will receive the Winter Mini Challenge booklist bundle!
Your reading hero can be an individual or a group – whether that’s a teacher, a library, a reading group, a friend, a carer or a family member. It’s up to you! The Reading Agency just want to hear about how people have supported each other with reading this year – whether that’s by helping you to improve your literacy, encouraging you to enjoy reading or recommending you some great books!
The Library Team